sexta-feira, 7 de outubro de 2011

And the queen arrives

Hi there. I bought a queen from a friend here in Brazil, and it arrived yesterday evening (much earlier than I had anticipated). A very beautiful queen with some eggs and two workers. The species is Camponotus ligniperdus. Here she is:


The nest itself is 99% finished. I made a small hole on the side of the main pot, put a plastic transparent hose in it, got another short but wide pot (which I plan to use to put food in) and also made a hole in that, Then glued them with hot sylicon rubber. The results are not pretty but seem to be functional:



The "forage/food pot" has a small hole in the lid so I can lift just that if I want to put things in. The hole is small, though, I don't know how well it will work.



This is what the ant nest setup looks like:

So I went ahead and removed the cotton lump covering the mouth of the test tube the queen had arrived in and set the test tube in the big pot.


One of the workers quickly made its way to the mouth of the test tube, but didn't leave it and went back in. The other worker also made its way there a few moments after the first, and took a bit longer exploring the entrance to the test tube until one of its antennae touched the plaster floor. Then it seems to have gotten scared and ran back to the queen and other worker. I kind of scared them too for a few moments, but then everything went back to normal and they all just stayed there. This happened yesterday evening, as soon as I set the tube in after having opened it.

This morning I went to look again and they were still in the test tube. I put some very small flies (about 4 or 5), as well as a honey/water mixture of about 50% in the forage pot. I left them on my book cupboard in the living room and went to work.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário