segunda-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2012

Lasius flavus in their new home

I have moved my Lasius flavus this morning to their new home. I had to move them by force in an emergency situation because the cotton in the test tube they were in was showing signs of mold, and I found that this species is particularly sensitive to it. They settled down very quickly, though.

As you can see, they scattered at first, all workers started moving about except for the queen, which stayed very still next to some of her eggs.



After the workers found the underground tunnels and finished exploring, the eggs, larvae and pupae were quickly moved to the first and second rooms. Then two workers started dragging the queen for a bit until she got the message. :)









After about fifteen minutes, they moved lower down to a room on the left, but I did not take pictures by then as I thought they had had enough stress for the day.

2 comentários:

  1. Very cool set up. Have you thought about putting some sand on the top to make it look natural?

    ResponderExcluir
  2. Just beautiful, man! I'll make some picks of a queen here, for you to compare with this lasius of yours. Look like the same! ;^)

    ResponderExcluir